Two Transcribers wanted!
(Targeted at students of German Literature or other Humanities subjects)
The early career research group eTRAP is looking for Student Assistants. The research group is associated with the Institute of Computer Science and operates from the Göttingen Centre for Digital Humanities (GCDH). Further information about the research group and its work can be found at https://www.etrap.eu.
We are looking for applicants interested in joining the research group on TrAIN, a new project which was recently awarded the sum of €20,000 by the University of Göttingen. TrAIN, which stands for Tracing Authorship in Noise, will run for the duration of six months from 1st June 2016. The aim of the project is to obtain digital and searchable copies of the original correspondence of the Grimm brothers – the famous authors of the Kinder- und Hausmärchen. The digital copies will be obtained in two different ways, namely by the use of an HTR (Handwritten Text Recognition) tool and multiple OCR (Optical Character Recognition) tools. The output of such work will then be used to further research in the fields of stylometry and authorship attribution.
We are hiring 2 students for the duration of 3 months (extendable contract) who will act as the transcribers of the team. They will work with Transkribus, an HTR tool used to transcribe handwritten texts.
The Student Assistant provides support to the research group with essential tasks. (S)he is supervised in his/her work by one or more Researchers. The position takes into account the class and exam schedules of the student.
All candidates should:
- Be enrolled as a student at the University of Göttingen;
- Be fluent in German (possibly native);
- Possess excellent written and spoken English (B2-C1 level);
- Have an eye for detail and a sense of initiative;
- Possess excellent communication skills, needed for working in an interdisciplinary and intercultural team;
- Be curious about the project and willing to contribute own knowledge to the group’s tasks and brainstorming sessions;
- Be enthusiastic about acquiring new skills and dealing with unknown topics;
- Be perseverant while carrying out a challenging task;
- Possess own laptop.
If you wish to apply, please send a CV (which includes your background and areas of interest) to email@example.com before May 31st 2016.
For further questions, do not hesitate to contact us at the same address.
We look forward to reading your application!